Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The evolution theory.....I now believe!

I am not one to argue the age old question "where did we come from", but I do like this theory. I have been reading a book, a quite interesting read infact. A little off topic to my post but from where I found my ancestors so I must talk about the book a minute. "The world without us" by Alan Weisman. Based on not so much his theory but substantiated facts given to him by ecologists, scientists, biologists, paleontologists and even rabbis about what our world would be like if humans were wiped from the earth. In this equation, one primatologist Jane Goodall had been studying chimpanzees, more specifically, bonobos.

What caught my attention and heralded my latest discovery of where I came from was learning that bonobos are not aggressive in nature. Like chimps, they are territorial yet with bonobos, they are not known to kill within their primative colonies. They have a peaceful nature and here's what caught my attention: a predilection for playful sex with multiple partners! Not only that, but they do not form lasting relationships with their sexual partners.....now I know who's my daddy! Their DNA is closer to a human's than it is to a gorilla, their gentetic make-up is 98% the same as us homo-sapiens. Oh, did I mention that the females are considered to have the higher social status? Must be my ancestors!

I had to "google" bonobos and learn more of my ancestry and found that we also share a preference for tribadism. Never heard it referred to as this before but if you want to know what I am talking about, you will have to google the term for yourself! Thankfully though we have evolved from the bonobos practice of incest, I suppose every family history has it's own set of skeletons. Go figure. I am reading a book about life after we have come and gone and I end up learning about my ancestry long before we even existed!

Okay, I don't really believe I am a direct decendent of the bonobo but I can honestly say I have never seriously considered the evolution theory until reading this book. Sure it's grand to think that we were put on this earth as part of some wonderous plan by some unearthly God. It's a beautiful story; the heavens, the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve. Much more a promising thought than "we evolved from apes". But what if it were as simple as that? What if? Things that make you go hmmm.

No comments: