Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Buff Belle; The Gym Thread

No, not Belle in the Buff. I'm changing my tune just a little bit and have decided to do something I have never done before. I'm hitting the gym! My workout regimen actually began in late November. After spending several months pitying myself I decided I needed to make some serious changes in my life. It all must start with taking better care of me and I owe this to Mrs. L, who has been actively hitting the gym for some time now. She was my inspiration, so thanks so much for the boost I needed!

I was hesitant to bring it up here to all of you. First of all, I fear failure. Then I realized I am my own worst critic. Letting you down is nothing compared to how hard I am on myself when I let myself down. Then there's the obligatory "You look great!" that people feel compelled to say when they know someone is dieting or working out. It's nice and all, but in all honesty it's seldom sincere. So while I want to share my progress and anything related to this new lifestyle with you, please, please, PLEASE don't ever feel obligated to give a compliment for the sake of pacifying me. K, 'nough of that. (Whoa, poor English or what????)

So, late November and I took advantage of a two week free pass to a gym to check things out. Two things were on my "must-haves" list. A sauna and a whirlpool. Both were a go. So from there, I headed to the weight room. I have never lifted weights before nor have I stepped foot on a treadmill or any cardio machine for that matter. This room was intimidating for me. 15 treadmills, 15 crosstrainers, 10 bikes (5 of them in a very odd position), 4 Stairmasters, too many weight stations to counts and a huge free-weight area. Mats for stretching, studios for aerobics classes, a gym for ball sports, handball/squash courts....I could go on and on. This place is huge! With a little research I am sure you could come up with which gym it is I am using but for my personal space I do hope you understand my wish to leave the name anonymous. All in all I was very pleased, although incredibly intimidated.

Over the two week trial membership I slipped in and out ever couple of days just to become acquainted with the place. The sauna and I immediately hit it off. I spent much of the time in there contemplating if I really had the discipline to stick with it. The membership isn't cheap....perhaps that's the push I need. I don't mind spending money when it's put to good use but I won't spend it frivolously. If I pay the membership I will be forced to go and to get started, I need to be forced to do it.

On December 15th I decided to do it. I set up an appointment with a personal trainer (he comes with my membership, isn't that sooooo cool?) for the following Friday morning. His only instruction was to show up in the appropriate dress and be ready on time. So Friday morning came and I was there, on time wearing my habs pajama pants, my habs socks, my habs t-shirt and runners. 'C’mon guys, it's all I had! I don't suppose my red leather skirt and jacket would have been any better! Ok, perhaps it would have been 'cause I was clearly did not get the dress code memo that everyone else apparently got. As he rambled on about a few basic safety tips I was taking mental notes for my shopping list. Tights, shorts, tank tops, ankle socks, sports bras, hip hugging cotton pants. Got it.

Ok, back to my training. He asked just how much experience I had with a gym. I laughed and told him I have had a gym membership for 2 years but never seemed to make it past the hot tub and sauna...so we started from scratch. He got me acquainted with six basic machines. No free weights, thank God! This gym uses a computer system that tracks the weight you lift on each machine and also logs all of your cardio activity. I really liked that feature. I punch in my access code on each machine and it tells me my seat/weight settings, range of motion and details of my previous workout. Something to keep me motivated, I sure need that! Then he tells me he will get weekly reports on my progress. This is where the fear of failure comes in. I didn't like that idea at all but it holds me accountable and that's exactly what I need.

I knew the remaining 2 weeks of December would be a slow start with the holidays and my work schedule but I made sure I visited 3 times a week. It takes me about 1/2 hr to complete my weight stations and then I added 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill. I can do this. My initial total weight lift per day was set at 3300 pounds. It sounded like a lot to me but it wasn't at all, pretty basic stuff really. By the end of December I was doubling it. So far so good.
It is now January 15th and my average weight lift per day is 13,000 pounds. Since January 1st I have lifted 143,700 pounds! I made the first day of the New Year the start of my commitment to the gym. I have only missed two days since then. But it is early and it is still new, I am hoping the novelty doesn't wear off as it does for most people. Getting there is the hardest part for me; once I am there I am okay. I am committed and I AM going to do this....with your help of course!

I have ventured out a little in the gym. While I have yet to partake in any fitness classes, I now alternate the treadmill with the elliptical and the Stairmaster. Just today I finally did my shopping. I am officially rigged up for this gig! I did buy a sports band for my Ipod early on, I just can't workout without the music and besides....everyone has one! I will still show up in my Habs pj's once in awhile if it means the difference between me going or not going that day. But I now have sports bras. I learned over the past month that underwire and sweat do not mix, ouch!
So, I will apologize in advance for me whining here about my bad days and I thank you in advance for any support or advice you may have to offer.....please feel free to do so! Oh and one more thing......I simply refuse to give up my smoking!

No comments: