Friday, June 23, 2006

The money

Entry for May 17, 2006

Money. It’s a funny thing isn’t it? I know it can’t buy happiness but it sure does make things easier. I get asked all the time about the money this business brings so I am going to talk about it here. I truly find it awkward to discuss the money factor but will never deny that it has enabled me to do so much more that I would not have been able to do without this business.

I am going to be very honest here, and for those of you that know me…..that is the only way for me. I have lived on the streets, then on welfare in an apartment in the “not so nice” end of town. Then I went to university for 2 years. I found myself a good paying job and have now bought my second home. I have worked very hard to get where I am. So I can honestly say I appreciate the true value of money.

I do not see this business as my key to money but my key to freedom. The money has allowed for me to do the extras that I could not afford before. I can go to the gym now and spend some time away, just me……I have never done that before. I can take the kids places we could never go before, I can pay my bills on time…..hell I even pay them before they come in now! I can load the basement freezer with groceries instead of waiting for pay day. My very first purchase I made my first week with an agency was a new washer and dryer. I have never walked into a store and bought an appliance brand new! Sure….most would say “But it’s just a washer and dryer” but to me it was so much more than that. It was new, not out of the “for sale” section of the newspaper or a hand me down. It had a warranty! I’ve never bought anything before that came with a warranty!

Then it was a new bed. Not just any bed but a king size mattress, box spring and frame! Also a first time purchase. Then it was dressers and clothes (ok, I am still a woman you know!) There is always a place to spend it between new wiring for my home and now the outdoor work. A fence going up, gardens that I can’t wait to plant and a new barbecue. Maybe even a deck to put the barbecue on! Yes, the money is a great bonus to this business but it’s the freedom that makes my life a little less stressful.

Yet, I know that these are all extras. I have my job and that is my security. I know that my bills will always be paid with or without this business. I like knowing that I do not rely on this business to survive. I am very fortunate this way so that it has not become a “job” for me. If and when it ever seems like work, that is when I get out. I do what I do because it makes me feel good….about life, about myself. The money……..it’s nice but it really isn’t everything.

No comments: