Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Disney Dreams

Dreams were meant to come true. This I now know for sure. I had the chance this past 10 days to live my childhood dream. I went to meet Mickey at Disney World! For those of you that have been there, I am sure you know where I am coming from. For those of you that haven’t but have always dreamed of doing so I say to you, “If you ever get the chance to live your dream, then don’t give it a second thought!”

This is yet another moment in my recent life that I have learned just how important Belle has become to me. It is all a process of learning to let go of my “just surviving” mode and live life a little. I have always been a worry wart. Worrying about tomorrow, next month, next year and never taking the time out to enjoy what today has to offer me. Yes, I could have spent this money on finishing my basement, buying that new kitchen counter top I’ve been meaning to save for or banked it all for a rainy day. To me that is a positive investment because I would have something to show for the money I have spent. I just never realized that memories, while not a physical show for my money, did more for my life than anything material ever could.

I started planning for this trip back in June this year but really it started as a little girl. I remember watching Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Snow White as early as 5. I have always been a realist. I never bought into the fairytale dream of a handsome prince whisking me off into the sunset. That was not my dream as a child. But I did dream of the castles, the larger than life brick buildings that held the key to a fantasy. The dresses, the music, the idea of being in a far away place where everyone dances and sings. The Disney dream was just that for me as a little girl.

They say that Disney is for the kids but I have to disagree. Yes, the smiles on my kid’s faces were worth millions. I could go on and on about the memories we made as a family but I don’t feel it appropriate to share those details here. But I would like to share with you my dream and just how Disney affected me.

I was on the boat when it hit me. A short boat ride would take me from the resort to Magic Kingdom. And there it was…..larger than life, Cinderella’s castle. It’s just as the movies show it. A beautiful blue, lit up and glowing even though it was only noon. The windows I dreamed of looking out of that overlooks all of Magic Kingdom. I think I may have even cried at the sight.

After checking in at the gates I was left standing in Main St. USA. The shops all detailed in 1900’s architecture. I look to my left and there I see Donald Duck! I kissed him on his bill and got his autograph. He wasn’t too happy to see I was holding “Pal Mickey” and made me remove it before I got my picture taken with him.

I carried on through Main Street in awe. This is it, my dream, my fantasy and I am standing in the middle of it. I wish there was a way to express what that was like to experience. I worked my way to the steps of the castle and made my way up. Disney has a way of making you feel like you are that inner child. I was like a kid, running up and down the steps, jumping at the chance to meet all of my childhood character friends. Mickey and Minnie, Pluto and Daisy. Then Chip and Dale, Lilo and Stitch, the Princesses and yes, I even ate dinner with Prince Charming! I dined in the castle for lunch with Cinderella, Belle, Wendy, snow White and The Fairy Godmother. I ate dinner with Mickey and his pals. I marched along side the most elaborate parades, and wept while watching the Wishes fireworks show. Perhaps a little too sentimental I know but I was just so inspired by the fantasy.

I fell in love with everything that Disney stands for. The beauty of the parks, the smiles of everyone around me and the nature of all of those that represent what Walt himself dreamed to build. A place where life is simple, everything is wonderous and where dreams really do come true!

Thanks so much to all of you, those that I have met and those that just enjoy reading the things I have to say. You sharing in my excitement has shown just how great you all really are. I couldn’t have experienced all of this if it wasn’t for all of you. I just hope to give back a small piece of what you have all given to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could feel the thrill over again, and the memories of walking down Main Street, holding my mother's hand, all came rushing back. You'd better have hugged him for me!

Anonymous said...

Hell, y'all know even Rednecks luv that place...

Yep... its the memories, the anticipation and the anticipation realized fully...

I love that place

Anonymous said...

Like you, I went to Disney for the first time in my early thirties...and I can remember experiencing the same emotions you express so well on that boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. I still have the Super-8 movies I shot on that ride (I'm a bit older than you!). Glad you enjoyed the trip and hope that you get back there soon.