Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I need your prayers tonight

I have had a cold for the past week and a half. No, I'm not asking for prayers to heal a stubborn cough. This morning I woke with a coughing spell and tried to sit up to get my breath. As I was doing so I coughed and heard a "crunch" sound. Since then I haven't been able to move my neck. Not having any motivation to try and fight it, I wasted most the day away in bed aside from a couple hot baths. Finally, kids home and fed I decided to walk to the hospital (I hate driving when I'm at my best, certainly not going to happen in the shape I am in).
I get there and the waiting room is packed. I'm tired, the long walk (okay, only 25 mins but when each step is a cautious one to not disturb my neck it's a long walk) had me in a tense mood and to top it off, as I am waiting to be checked in, I look to my right and there is my mother. She doesn't live in Niagara so I know for her to be here there is something likely wrong with a family member. I turn to look down the hallway and there is my grandmother. I have never seen her look so old.
My Nana. My hero, my idol. And here she was fighting for her breath looking so terribly ill. It broke my heart. I stepped out of line and sat with her in the waiting room. Her doctor had sent her here to be admitted, her emphysema has taken over and she can no longer breathe for herself without a terrible struggle. Her food won't stay down, her heart is tired and she sat there trembling. We had known this was coming, just 2 months ago we were here with her having many tests done and nothing coming back positive. She looked so frail, my nana has never appeared this way. I was angered that not only is the most wonderful giving person on this earth struggling just to breathe but that my family is so damn ignorant to not have called me to tell me she was this ill.

I despise my mother for doing the unforgiveable to me and for that I know we will never again have a relationship with one another. But I can be in the same room with her, be civil and put aside our differences at a time like this. To think that she would be so selfish to not have called me, or atleast have another family member call me, was sickening. It is hard to believe that just one short year ago our family was so close. I miss that.

My apologies for rambling, tonight you are shoulder to lean on. I am waiting for my sitter, then I will be back at my Nana's side. Please send your prayers and best wishes her way. This world will lose its most brightest light if we lose my Nana. Thanks for listening.

No comments: