Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Traditions

Christmas Traditions
Last year at about this time, I had posted about how much I was dreading Christmas day. It’s not like me, it’s my most favorite time of year. But with the rift in my family this year, as well as last, Christmas has been difficult. The only difference is that this year I will be a little more mature about it. Have I mentioned that I am so stubborn I would bite my nose to spite my face? Well, I am. Last year I broke the family tradition by spending the day at home away from my family. It broke my heart as I watched my kids, knowing just how much they wanted to go to Nana’s house for the traditional breakfast and gift-giving Christmas morning. But I would not back down. I was pissed off and I had a point to make. There was no way we were going and that was it!
I’ve had time to think about things since then. I still refuse to befriend my mother or my sister and I know there is no way I will ever back down from my stand on that issue. But I also realize that this is very likely the last Christmas we will have with my Great-Nana. With all of your prayers and support that you gave for my Nana, which had such a positive outcome I didn’t feel it appropriate to mention that a few weeks ago my Great-Nana was diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately your prayers won’t be as helpful with her and we all know that. She is 95 and her time has come. The good part is that she is okay with it. She has declined any treatment save for Tylenol 3’s to make her more comfortable at night. So this Christmas will be a happy/sad holiday for the family but one I will not deny my kids this year.
So, Christmas morning I will wake up next to the tree as the kids excitedly tear apart their stockings. We’ll open our gifts at home and I will prepare the bird for dinner. Then, in our pj’s we will head to my Nana’s where all of my aunts, uncles, cousins (first, second and thirds) as well as my sister and brother will meet. We have one rule….no opening of gifts until everyone has eaten breakfast. It’s always a great spread of eggs, Canadian bacon and toast with plenty of eggnog, orange juice and tea. Then, it’s a mad house as the gifts (which usually tower the tree) are opened. It takes us until about noon and then we will leave.

The gift I’m most excited about this year? A surprise for my great-nana. The family has opened up a bank account and been depositing money to cover her private care in a nursing home. The first year will cost approximately $500/month until the government financing kicks in. To date we have raised almost $4000.00 and she has no idea. We are all quite excited to give her the good news as she is very eager to move into the home.

Then, it will be Christmas dinner at home. I have invited Homer in hopes that he is too busy to drive up here but even if he shows up I’m sure it will still be a perfect Christmas! Anyways, enough rambling about me….what are your plans? Any family traditions you would like to share?

No comments: