Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Anthem Etiquette

Laugh as you may, this story is sad but true. Last night I went to the Habs game in Buffalo. As is custom for me anytime I visit HSBC I like to have dinner there. I’m assuming because of Thanksgiving and being Black Friday is was extremely packed so the time it took to order my meal, have my meal served and wait for the waitress with the bill took quite some time. I rushed to get out for a quick cigarette and make a stop at the ladies room before the game started.

Just as I removed my pants and placed my rear end on the seat, the Canadian Anthem began to play. I was always raised to stop EVERYTHING when an anthem is playing so I was in a sort of dilemma. I didn’t have to go REAL bad; I mean it is our anthem and all. I listened for a second; no one else in the ladies room seemed to be doing their thing. Are they holding it or am I in here alone? I had no idea what to do……so I stood up. Yes, in a stall with my pants around my ankles I stood with my hands at my side. :/

I sat again when it was finished being sung, then he American Anthem began to play. :rolleyes: Now I just sort of chuckled as I stood again, it felt so disrespectful to be doing such a thing during a patriotic moment. So my question is…….What is the proper etiquette during an anthem….sit or stand?

No comments: