Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Montreal: Bricks and Bouquets

Bricks and Bouquets. Most newspapers have a section like this. It’s giving thanks where thanks is due and giving the finger where the finger is due. So here’s my thanks and my fingers.

Bouquet to the Montreal taxi driver Peter who drove from his home in Laval back to the airport to deliver my purse to me (with all money) that I left in his cab when he dropped me off. Had it not been for you I never would have made my flight.

Brick to the strip club doorman in Montreal (who never held the door) and insisted that it is customary to tip the doorman. Hope you had fun on your hands and knees looking for the loonie that was flipped to you, be thankful that was all that was flipped to you.

Bouquet to the Montreal Canadiens; they not only played an awesome game but also spent so much time after practice to stop and sign autographs. They made my first trip to Montreal a most memorable one. Also a bouquet to the fan club forum members who told me where to find my team!

Brick to myself for not taking the time to learn more French before visiting a French speaking province, especially after the time I spend cursing those in Canada who do not take the time to learn English yet expect me to be able to understand them.

Bouquet to the restaurants, Bell Centre staff , hotel employees and most everyone I encountered in Montreal for being bi-lingual. You made up for my ignorance.

Brick to whom ever gave me this damn cold that slowed me down while I was away!

Bouquet to the company I shared for being so understanding and taking great care of me.

No more bricks but here are a few more Bouquets:

Bouquet to Tim Horton’s for being on every street corner in Montreal.

Bouquet to the memorabilia shop at the Bell Center, you satisfied my shopping cravings. Thanks for doing your best to find a sharpie for me for autographs. While we came up short handed your efforts were appreciated.

Bouquet to Westjet. Our flight was delayed by 2 hours but you managed to get us on an earlier flight that was boarding as we arrived. I would have missed the chance to meet my Habs without your help!

And a final Bouquet to the city of Montreal, a beautiful city to visit. While it was a short one I was able to take in the beauty of your buildings and capture the atmosphere of a city with an olde town feel. I can’t wait to do it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed montreal... but just wanted to point out that it is 100% customary to tip the doorman at a stripclub even if there is no opening of door ;) so you know.. for next time.