Friday, June 23, 2006

What am I worth?

Entry for June 15, 2006

Just what am I worth? Do you ever wonder that? If I were to say $500/hr most would choke. If I say $100/hr most would say I’m giving myself away. If I go by looks, comparing myself to most active ladies in the area I wouldn’t be able to survive on that rate! If I go by my reviews compared to others perhaps I could retire at 35. If I go by service or menu I think I would live comfortable for quite some time. But just how do you decide?

It may seem to some that I live on the wild side. For any woman to be in this business she would have to, no? I tend to take the “safe” route when dealing with these issues. When I first went Independent my very first thought was….”What am I going to charge”? If it is too high then guys will rant and rave that I have become too big for this business. Too low and then it’s that I am in desperate need of cash and will take anything. The safe route……..keep my rates the same as they would be if they were to see me through the agency!

I think price goes hand in hand with respect. Sounds crazy but here is what I mean. If I charge $100/hr and most indy’s charge $160/hr then to me it would seem as though I do not respect myself enough to ask what the “going rate” would be. Without sounding stereotypical I find that by charging market rates my clientele is also much more mature and respectful. And by the same standard, if I request $500/hr it would appear that I have let the wonderful reviews go straight to my head and deserve to have my bubble burst!

I have seen quite frequently where ladies offer specials. Duo specials, weekly specials, monthly specials and I have often contemplated doing the same. This is why I do not. First of all, even prior to my website my business has been very steady. Why would I then lower my rates and increase the business that I already have a hard time keeping up with? Now when I say that I am not saying that I am busy with business from 9am-2am every night. For those that know me I have a family to raise and a full time job. This requires that I schedule my appointments around my personal commitments. I am very content with the amount of business that I receive and thus the income that is derived from that.

So, when my previous agency raises their rates, so shall I. It to me is the safest way to handle such a sensitive issue. I had considered keeping my rates a little lower than the agency thinking this would be a good business strategy on my part. I figured, if an agency’s rates are $160/hr and the lady only receives $100 of that then that is what I should charge, $100. What I didn’t think about is that while I do not have an agency to advertise for me, I now have to cover my own. No, I do not have a yellow pages ad but I do have a cell phone bill. That plus my vehicle maintenance and gas, time spent with emails/calls, clothing, nails and hair and blah, blah, blah. It does all add up!

Of course there will always be some that will not be happy paying so much for such little time. I do wish that I could make everyone happy. But at the same time I respect myself. I have worked very hard since coming into this business to make a good name for myself. No money is not what it is about, for me. But at the same time I have to show that I respect myself. I try to show class in how I present myself and be true to who I am. I do not pretend to be something I am not nor do I allow the money to dictate the type of service I provide. I think once you start negotiating your rates for different clients you just create some very awkward moments. This is me and this is my rate. I hope to see ya so we can share a great fun time together. That’s it, that’s all and to me, that’s how it should be!

So, as I had posted in my first announcement about becoming an Independent, my rates will remain the same as the agency. Now, if they have a special, so will I. If they go up so will I, and if they go down, so will I. Hmmm, that sounds fun! So, $170/hr it is. Am I worth it? Not too sure but I can honestly say that the gentlemen I see respect me and treat me very well and they have continued to see me through leaving an agency and my rate increase. I am very happy with that!

1 comment:

Dr Rogers said...

It is always hard to measure a persons worth in any situation and when it is such a personal service as you offer it is harder. I have never been one to tell a lady to drop her rates. She deserves what she charges as it is a tough, tough "job" However, I do look at the situation differently if I am a regular and always see my special ladies for multi hour sessions. These wonderful women are generous with their time to me to a fault. I treat them as a true date and many get to experience things with me they would not it their personal life. We go out to dinner, theatre, upscale clubs (I value fine things in life). I find reasons to show my appreciation back - birthdays, life events whatever - and will be as generous with them as they with me. So - with your loyal ongoing clients - treat them as special, each session becomes easier and I am sure more enjoyable and I will bet that he will treat you as special. With the miner from Pennsylvania you're going to see once or twice - charge the going rate, don't put yourself on sale - Respect yourself as you do and others will respect you.