Friday, June 23, 2006

Balance Pt 2

Entry for June 20, 2006

Balance, Part 2

Balance. Ok, so now I have figured out how to balance life as a whole. But how do you create balance within yourself? No other outside influences now, just balancing the things you must do in a day or a week. Do you start with 1/3 kids, add 2/8ths housework and 3/16ths real job, blend together with a spoon, toss in about 1/100ths of personal hygene and 3/4ths side job. Let it sit for an hour and there you have it…the perfect life? If life were so simple! Many of your enquiring minds want to know how I balance all that I do, so here it is. A little crazy at time but this is how I do it.

First I use a computer program Palm Pilot. It is meant to be used with a handheld but I do not have one of those. In all honesty, this program is a life saver! It is my schedule and it never lets me screw up! So I sit at the computer on my day off and write in all the personal things that need to be taken care of. Doctor appointments, school meets, soccer games, work meetings all get scheduled first. Then it’s on to my emails.

First I look through all of my emails forwarded from my website and respond. As appointments are made I enter them into my palm pilot. I always add a side note, never personal info but things like if the time is a definite or wait to confirm etc. I delete any emails (after responding) that require no further attention or any details that I no longer need. Then I check my hotmail emails and follow the same ritual. Then it’s onto
NERBS and GTERB Here I check my pm’s, respond and note any scheduling changes or new appts in my palm pilot.
Now I read through the posts added to the board since my last visit. Some I reply to, others I just chuckle at and carry on. Then it’s time to check phone messages and update my own voice message. I seldom answer my phone as my personal life just doesn’t permit it as much as I’d like to. I do return my messages though and while looking at my palm pilot announce my schedule for the week. This part has good and bad to it. Most of my appointmentsts are prebooked so there are times that I am unable to take any appointments for several days at a time. This I know frustrates many gents. If only there were 36 hours in a day! But I do update my voice mail every day so that if someone is trying to schedule an appointment they know what I have available. Then I update my schedule on my website based on my palm pilot schedule.

It doesn’t end there though. Now I either go to a gym and sit in the sauna with a good book or go for a long walk. Appointments are to be kept, wherever they may fall throughout the day. Then it’s home and housework, some gardening and getting dinner ready. Then again I check emails, pm’s and the boards. I check my phone several times throughout the day. Then soccer, homework and a shower. Again, appointments to be kept. Some down time before work so I check all messages once again and off to work I go! I get home about 6am and start it all over again.

It sounds hectic but again, it comes down to balance. I prioritize my day and work with it. I try not to stress the small stuff. I do what makes me happy and I know my limits. I limit the amount of appointments that I make and be sure to schedule days off just for me. If anything, that has been the hardest lesson to learn. Life is just too short to not make the best of it. I don’t want to waste it worrying about what others think of me. It is me that has to live with me, why let myself down to appease someone else? Perhaps that was me a year ago but not anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If mama ain't happy no ones happy.
Finding balance bewtween all of it can be very difficult.
But when you find that balance, it's god sent.

Your not selfish, you must be first.